*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full disclosure.*
As much as we love the hot summer months, being able to jump in the pool when we want, taking the kids to the park, barbecues and family get togethers in the backyard; it is not so sad to see the hot weather go when we have warm and delicious fall coffee drinks to look forward to, am I right? There is just something about this time of year that makes us all crave those warm and cozy fall flavors.
One fall favorite of mine is the Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte. This delicious drink combines the well-known pumpkin flavor with the deliciously well-known chai tea. What could be better than that? So let’s read on and find out how to make this delicious homemade pumpkin spice chai latte for you to enjoy any time you like!
What Is A Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte?
While a regular latte is made with a coffee base and frothed milk, a Chai latte is made with a Chai tea base and frothed milk. This spiced tea already has a wonderful fall feel to it even before we add the pumpkin and other ingredients. Just imagine what it will taste like when we are done building this warm and cozy drink! Makes me wanna grab a blanket and get fall cozy!
What Will You Need?
The star of this latte is the Spiced Chai tea. You can find all kinds at your local grocery store. There are a lot of options when it comes to Chai Tea so be sure to read the box. You don’t want to pick up a box of apple chai when your goal is to make a pumpkin chai.
Chai tea is made using a black tea base so if you choose a box that says black chai tea on it, it will work just fine. I like to use the vanilla chai tea. This will give your Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte a nice sweet flavor and you could omit using the vanilla extract in the recipe. Pick one that peaks your taste buds interest, and go with it!
If you really love your pumpkin flavors, you could actually buy Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea and use that along with the pumpkin puree from the recipe!
Now we want to choose our milk. My suggestion is to use whole milk, as this will make your latte thicker and creamier. Unsweetened almond milk works well too for this recipe. I always suggest staying away from skim milk because it is thinner and will make your latte taste watered down. Other than that, most any milk will work so just grab what you have available.
We can’t have a pumpkin spice chai latte without the pumpkin right? So we will need pumpkin puree, NOT pumpkin pie mix. Puree is unsweetened and allows for other flavors to combine nicely.
Now that we have the base of our latte, tea, pumpkin and milk, we can grab all other ingredients we need. Starting with real maple syrup OR honey, vanilla extract (unless you are using vanilla chai tea), pumpkin pie spice, and cornstarch OR arrowroot for added thickness and creaminess.
How To Make A Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
A step by step to help you along the way:
- First we want to get our tea started. We will use 1 tea bag per 1/2 cup of water. Get the water boiling on the stove. Turn down the heat, add the tea bag and let it steep for about 4 minutes.
- While the tea is steeping, grab a blender (a stand alone works better than an immersion).
- You will want to blend 3/4 cup of your choice milk, 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon real maple syrup OR honey, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract (if you are using vanilla chai tea you can omit this), 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch OR arrowroot (for thickness and creaminess).
- Blend until nice and creamy!
- When the tea is done steeping, squeeze the tea bag of any remaining liquid and discard.
- Add the blended mixture to the tea, and reheat to your preferred temperature.
- Now that the hard part is done, we can get to the fun part! The toppings! Most people like to top this with whipped cream and some cinnamon or nutmeg, but you of course, can top with anything you like. I prefer just the cinnamon. It’s simple, sweet, and delicious!
Feel All The Feels of Fall!
I just love how easy it is to make our favorite coffee and tea drinks at home! Especially when it starts getting chilly outside and we just don’t feel like going anywhere. So next time you hit the grocery store, make sure to plan some cozy fall drinks to make and pick up what you need. When you feel like warming up with a delicious Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte you will have everything you need on hand to whip up this rich and creamy fall favorite in no time at all!
If you have made this fall favorite before and have any tips, or have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comment section below. I would love to hear from you!
For the Love of Coffee
HOMEMADE PUMPKIN CHAI LATTE
- Stovetop Pot
- Blender (preferably stand alone)
- 1 bag Chai Tea
- ½ cup Water
- ¾ cup Milk of Choice
- 2 tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
- 1 tablespoon Real Maple Syrup OR Honey
- ¼ teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- ½ teaspoon Cornstarch OR Arrowroot
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract Omit if using vanilla chai tea
- Heat water on stovetop until boiling.
- Once boiling, turn down and add tea bag for steeping, about 4 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients to blender, blend until nice and creamy.
- Remove tea bag when done and squeeze any remaining water from the bag back into the hot tea
- Add the blended mix to the tea and heat to your preferred temperature.