*This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Read full disclosure.*
Well I’m not sure about where you live, but where I live here in the Northeast, Old Man Winter is not messing around. He showed up with cold frigid air and truck loads of snow. One day it’s sunshine and 50 degrees, the next day we woke up to a winter wonderland. So pretty. I love the snow, hate the cold. That’s when I know it’s time to break out the winter flavors of the coffee world!
With the holidays being here and Christmas right around the corner, we crave a coffee drink that gives us that warm and cozy feeling while also putting us in the holiday spirit. White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha is one of my favorites! It’s thick and creamy from the chocolate, with a sweet hint of peppermint to give you that extra special holiday feel!
What is a White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha?
This is a spin on the traditional Cafe Mocha we all know so well. Substituting the milk/dark chocolate with a delicious white chocolate, and adding peppermint flavor to give you that desired holiday coffee drink, with all the feels of the holiday season. Top it off with some whipped cream or marshmallows, and some crushed candy cane, peppermint candies, or red and green sprinkles for aesthetics and extra flavor!
What Will You Need?
You will need some really strong coffee! If you do not have an at home espresso maker, you can use a darker roast coffee (or an “espresso” roast coffee) for this to get that really strong coffee flavor.
Then you will need some white chocolate hot chocolate. You can buy this pre-made, or you can make it yourself homemade! I will explain how to do this in the next section (it’s actually pretty easy so don’t get intimidated). I like to make it myself and use the leftovers for the kiddos. Or if you prefer to use a white chocolate syrup instead of the hot chocolate mix, that will work just fine also.
If you decide not to make your own hot chocolate, you will need some milk. Any kind will do, though I prefer whole milk as it will make your mocha more creamy and thick.
Now all you need is peppermint extract to give you that sweet holiday taste!
Grab some whipped topping or marshmallows and some crushed candy canes, peppermint candies, or red and green sprinkles for aesthetics and added flavor.
How To Make Your Homemade White Chocolate Hot Chocolate
This is super easy so don’t feel like your taking on a task that is close to impossible. This is very possible for anyone to make with just 4 simple ingredients. Milk, white chocolate or white chocolate chips, vanilla extract and salt. Pretty simple right? So let’s get started!
NOTE: You can adjust this to make smaller or larger amounts. If you make larger amounts, you can save the leftover mix and reheat for future use.
This recipe is for 2 servings (mugs) of white chocolate hot chocolate:
- Start with 2 cups of milk. I prefer whole milk with this recipe since it is nice and thick and will contribute to the creaminess of the hot chocolate. Though you can use any milk you prefer, and even half-and-half if you like which will also make it more creamy.
- Grab 1/2 cup of white chocolate or white chocolate chips. I suggest you use a white chocolate brand that is of good quality, instead of the white chocolate baking chips. You want that white chocolate flavor to shine through the other flavors of the coffee drink, but not over power it. Ghirardelli or Lindt are some good choices for this. If you like a little added kick, you could try Green and Black’s Organic Creamy White Chocolate bars. Or if you have a favorite white chocolate of your own, go ahead and give that a try!
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Dash of salt. Be careful not to add to much!
NOTE: If you are making this a peppermint hot chocolate, then add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract to the mix while heating. If you want to save the leftovers for another recipe, you can add the extract per mug instead, using only 1/8 teaspoon for each mug. More or less to taste.
Now that you have all your ingredients, toss them in a pot and heat on medium-low until the chocolate is completely melted. Making sure to whisk frequently. I like to get the milk nice and warm before adding the chocolate. I feel this helps it melt better. By all means though, you can add all ingredients at the same time if you like.
Once everything is melted nicely and has thickened up a bit, you can start building your mocha!
How To Make Your White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
- Start with 1/2 cup strong coffee OR 2 oz. espresso.
- Heat or froth 1 cup of milk with 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. Any milk will do, and as stated above, I prefer to use whole milk for this recipe as it will make it more thick and creamy.
- If you made your own hot chocolate, you can add 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract to the milk mixture while heating, or add 1/8 teaspoon per mug if you plan on saving some for a different recipe, or just to enjoy as a yummy hot chocolate.
- If you are using a pre-made hot chocolate mix, add 3 tablespoons hot chocolate powder to the milk mixture before heating
- If you are using a white chocolate syrup, add 2 1/2 tablespoons to the milk mixture before heating.
Once the coffee is done brewing and the milk mixture is heated to your desired temperature, combine the two in your mug. I like to add the milk to the coffee, I feel it mixes better that way since I do not stir my mochas, or any other espresso drink for that matter. Others prefer to add the coffee to the milk. However you like it!
Top it with a nice whipped cream topping, marshmallows, sprinkle with some crushed candy canes or peppermint candies, or sprinkle with some fun red and green sprinkles! Anything you like to put you in that cozy holiday spirit! What fun it is to decorate such a delicious treat like this!
WHITE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT MOCHA
- Stovetop Pot
- Wire whisk
Ingredients for White Hot Chocolate (2 servings)
- 2 cups Milk of Choice
- ½ cup White Chocolate OR White Chocolate Chips
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Peppermint Extract optional
- Dash Salt optional
Ingredients for White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha (1 mug)
- ½ cup Strong Coffee OR 2 ounces Espresso
- 1 cup White Hot Chocolate
Instructions for White Hot Chocolate
- Heat all ingredients except the chocolate on the stovetop on medium-low, stirring frequently.
- Once the milk mix is warmed up a bit, lower the heat and add the chocolate, stirring continuously until completely melted.
- Once the chocolate is melted and the mix has thickened a bit, pour into your mug.
Instructions for White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha
- When your coffee is done, and you have made the White Hot Chocolate, you can mix the two together and enjoy!
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate flakes for added flavor!
- Heat 1 cup milk of choice with
- 3 tablespoons white hot chocolate powder mix OR 2 1/2 tablespoons white chocolate syrup, then mix with your coffee.
Tis’ The Season!
Tis’ the season that brings us closer together with family and friends. Snowflakes falling from the sky, twinkling lights on houses and fences, warm, fuzzy scarves and hats. It is such a beautiful time of year. So embrace the season with a coffee drink that will have you singing holiday songs all day long, and treat yourself to a smooth and creamy White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha!
If you have made this holiday favorite before and have any tips, or have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comment section below. I would love to hear what you have to say!
For the Love of Coffee